Dentist – Rockwall, TX
Get to Know
Danette McNew, DDS
If you’re in need of a dentist in Rockwall, Dr. McNew offers well over 30 years of tried-and-true experience, as well as outstanding clinical knowledge and a commitment to using the latest techniques and technologies. She loves building relationships with patients while achieving healthier, happier smiles that are built to last! If you’d like to learn more about her, just keep reading below.
Why Did You Decide to Become a Dentist?
Dr. McNew’s father is actually a dentist, but he didn’t pressure her into joining the field. Nonetheless, many of his fellow faculty members have vivid members of Dr. McNew as a baby in a carrier on the lab bench while her father waxed dentures in the 1960’s. As a high school student, she was involved in a dental cluster and learned to wax crowns and dentures while also working at her father’s office when she got out of class. It gradually became clear over time that dentistry was the right fit for her interests and talents – and all these years later, she can’t imagine doing anything else!
Where Did You Study Dentistry?
Dr. McNew graduated from Baylor College of Dentistry in 1988 and practiced in her father’s office before opening her own in 1990. She has also been teaching senior dental students at Baylor College of Dentistry/Texas A&M College of Dentistry since 1992 and loves helping them thrive. Because of her commitment to them, she prioritizes continuing education whenever possible. This includes advanced cosmetic dentistry training through Baylor College of Dentistry, orthodontics through the International Association of Orthodontics, and sleep apnea therapy through Texas A&M College of Dentistry and CE courses. She has attended a Live Implant Continuum Study Club and the Southwest Academy for Restorative Dentistry Symposium.
Here are some of Dr. McNew’s various dental memberships and accolades:
- Fellowship with International College of Dentists
- Fellowship with American College of Dentists
- Past President (2018) & Fellow of the Year (2017) with the Academy for Sports Dentistry
- Past President (2012) of Dallas County Dental Society, and continues working with the Membership Committee
- Past President of Alumni Association of Texas A&M College of Dentistry (2018 - 2020)
- Nominated for Teacher of Excellence Award at Texas A&M College of Dentistry (2019)
- Nominated for Texas Dentist of the Year for the Academy of General Dentistry by the Dallas County Dental Society (2016)
- Member of the American Dental Association (1988 - Present)
- Member of the Texas Dental Association (1988 - Present)
- Member of the Academy of General Dentistry (1988 - Present)
- Member of SPEAR Education Study Group
Dr. McNew has also created custom mouthguards for Lake Placid Olympian athletes, as well as the athletic programs at SMU and Dallas Bridge Lacrosse. She loves to encourage dental student involvement as well!
Outside of the Dental Field, What Do You Like to Do?
Dr. McNew is married to David Hovenden, who is very involved with her practice and community work. Outside of dentistry, she is an accomplished musician who plays flute and piccolo, and she and her husband have been ballroom dancing for over 15 years as well. Other personal hobbies include hiking, reading, and traveling – if she can hike and dance in a foreign country, that’s definitely a highlight!